Today we will be discussing some preventative maintenance that you can take to help stop anything bad from happening while you are away from home.
- Before your trip, and several times this spring and summer, remove all of the lug nuts and coat the wheel studs with Never-Seez. By soaking them in penetrating oil like Blaster PB50 will make getting them off much faster and easier in the future. It may sound like busy-work, but it’s much better to do this in the driveway than be stuck roadside with lug nuts you can’t get off
- While you’re working around the tires, check the air pressure in all your tires, including the spare. Also, take the time to check the tires on the tow vehicle
- A quick walk around your trailer will allow you to check the lights
- If you plan to trailer at night, make sure to grab a few strips of DOT tape. This is a reflective tape that will give you some added safety until you can get somewhere to fix the problem
- Check to make sure you have attached your safety chains
- Make sure you have a spare key tucked away somewhere safe
- Last, but very important, make sure your rig is balanced
This pre-trip list might seem like a lot of extra work, but it is well worth the effort! Once you are on the road, you will be glad that you are prepared for whatever comes your way!